Toy Story is a computer-generated imagery (CGI) animation film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures and Buena Vista Distribution in the United States on November 22, 1995, and the United Kingdom on 22 March 1996.
- Title: Toy Story
- Genre: Family/Animation
- Directed by: John Lasseter
- Produced by: Bonnie Arnold, Ralph Guggenheim
- Executive Producers: Edwin Catmull, Steve Jobs
- Country: USA
- Release date(s): November 22, 1995
- Running time: 81 minutes
- Language: English
- Australian Rating: G
- Budget: $30 million
- Total Worldwide Box Office Gross: $361,958,736
- Followed by: Toy Story 2 (1999)
The main toy characters:Edit
- Woody - an old-fashioned pull-string cowboy doll. He is Andy's favorite toy, with a special spot on the bed, and as such is the leader of the toys.
- Buzz Lightyear - a Space Ranger from Star Command. A new plastic toy with an electronic voice, spring-loaded wings, laser (a blinking LED) and a rocket ship box. Buzz was a gift at Andy's birthday party from his mother.
- Mr. Potato Head - a Mr. Potato Head doll by Hasbro, Inc. He is outspoken and sarcastic. The audio commentary on the 10th anniversary DVD jokes that he is an Irish-Catholic. Oddly, Mr. Potato Head states that he is from Playskool in the movie.
- Rex - a plastic Tyrannosaurus with a lot of anxiety from an inferiority complex.
- Slinky Dog - a toy wiener dog with a slinky for a mid-section. Very loyal to Woody.
- Hamm - a wise-cracking plastic piggy bank.
- Bo Peep - a porcelain shepherdess doll from Molly's Little Bo Peep lamp, Woody's romantic interest.
- Sarge - a gung-ho commander of an army of plastic toy soldiers. Sarge and his troops frequently help out their fellow toys.
- Squeeze Toy Aliens - toy aliens that you could win as a prize in a crane machine at Pizza Planet.
- Lenny - a pair of wind-up walking binoculars.
- RC - a radio-controlled car.
- Etch - an Etch-A-Sketch.
- Andy - a six-year-old boy, owner of Woody and the rest of the toys.
- Sid - a hyperactive ten-year-old boy who delights in torturing toys.
- Mrs. Davis - Andy's thirty-eight-year-old mom, typical "soccer mom".
- Hannah Phillips - Sid's frail little sister. Often gets her toys snatched away and tortured by Sid, usually by his removing their heads (as shown in her tea party, in which all characters but herself and Buzz are headless).
- Molly Davis - Andy's one-year-old baby sister.
- Scud - Sid's Bull Terrier and toy eater.
- Tom Hanks as Woody
- Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear
- Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head
- Jim Varney as Slinky Dog
- Wallace Shawn as Rex
- John Ratzenberger as Hamm
- Annie Potts as Bo Peep
- John Morris as Andy
- Erik von Detten as Sid
- Laurie Metcalf as Andy's Mom
- R. Lee Ermey as Sarge
- Sarah Freeman as Hannah
- Penn Jillette as TV announcer
- Jack Angel as Shark/Rocky Gibraltar
- Spencer Aste as Soldier
- Greg Berg as Damaged Soldier/Pizza Planet Guard 1
- Lisa Bradley as additional voices
- Kendall Cunningham as additional voices
- Debi Derryberry as Aliens/Pizza Planet Intercom
- Cody Dorkin as additional voices
- Bill Farmer as Monotone Announcer
- Craig Good as Mission Control
- Gregory Grudt as additional voices
- Danielle Judovits as Burned Rag Doll
- Sam Lasseter as additional voices
- Brittany Levenbrown as additional voices
- Sherry Lynn as Mom
- Scott McAfee as additional voices
- Mickie McGowan as Sid's Mom
- Ryan O'Donohue as Kid
- Jeff Pidgeon as Aliens/Robot/Mr. Spell
- Patrick Pinney as Pizza Delivery Guy/Angry Driver 2
- Phil Proctor as Bowling Announcer/Pizza Planet Guard 2
- Jan Rabson as Gas Station Attendant/Mr. Mike
- Joe Ranft as Lenny the Binoculars
- Andrew Stanton as Commercial Chorus
- Shane Sweet as additional voices
- Frank Welker as Scud
Toy Story was released on DVD on March 20th, 2001. It was also released in November 2005 as a special 10th Anniversary 2-Disc DVD.
- The adventure takes off!
- Hang on for the comedy that goes to infinity and beyond!
- Watch out for little green men.
- I'm a nervous Rex!
- Don't yank my string!
- Buzz off!
- Guts of steel
- Proud to be a vegetable
- Toy Story 2 was released in 1999
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins (Spin-off movie to Toy Story)
- Buzz Lightyear of Star Command (Spin-off TV show)
- Toy Story 3 Expected to be released in 2008 or 2009.
- Rex tells Buzz that he's from Mattel, before correcting himself and saying that technically he's from a smaller company that Mattel purchased in a levereged buy-out. This may be a reference to Mattel's refusal to let Pixar use a Barbie doll in the film as Woody's love interest.
- "Hakuna Matata" from the Lion King can be heard in Andy's mother's car on the way to their new home, although when Woody and Buzz fall into the van, it stops playing.
- The original character for Woody was written to be sneaky, mean and borderline evil. He was also supposed to be a ventriloquist dummy, but as it has always been odd for children to play with these dummies, and in fact more common for kids to be scared of them, he evolved to a pull-string cowboy.